History

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Misty horizons


A long walk

Walking into Lake Malawi at Leopard Bay my fiend Ellen took the pic with my camera.

So often I embarked on trips not exactly knowing where my journey would take me. Can one ever know for certain where any journey would take you?. At times when many go on Holiday after lengthy planning and much excitement they never reach their intended destination.
We visited the National Kruger Park when the children Hilda and Zayne were small and we took Anita along to keep them company and keep an eye on them. We were fortunate and saw much. We also faced an irate Elephant and I managed to slip around it just in time being unable to reverse quickly wit a trailer attached.We also got charged by a,perpetually aggressive and bad tempered Black Rhinoceros who ran busting through trees and bushes parallel to our vehicle.
The children got a fright of their lives when a hyena appeared suddenly next to a fence were I parked reversed up to the fence with the children lying in the back of the vehicle. he crushed bones with consummate ease and was so close we could smell its foul breath.
Our trip to Zimbabwe was a long and arduous one the next year. We traveled the Entire length of the country and crossed Lake Kariba on a ferry.One of the Chalets we bookend and paid for in advance did not exist they were still building the place. We were accommodated by a loving couple in the town Victoria. Their helper removed my unintended passenger from my back by painfully squeezing a bot-fly larva,that burrowed into my flesh, from my back.
Our visit to the Kgalagadi Trans Frontier Park was a short one. We came across a pride of the magnificent Kgalagadi Lions on the last day of our visit and headed home fulfilled.
My aim was to meet indigenous San Bushmen and we did and I am now Facebook friends with several of these first citizens of our Country and indeed the world.
I embarked on a business trip to Malawi to buy Moringa for my small business and made many friends.My trip was successful in many ways and I shall return with my family to visit the magical Leopard bay and Lifuwu village.
All these trips you will find elsewhere on my blog and I know it is not easy to navigate and that is the whole point,is it not ? It is meant for you to discover things and maybe discover things in yourself.
That is why I love traveling and that is why I love exploring off the beaten track. Life is indeed a journey not a destination and the final destination is wherever you find yourself at,at that particular moment.
Walking into the lake there was a lot of uncertainty inside me.I was facing new challenges.I was praying my consignment I bought reaches far off South Africa safe and intact. I was praying for the safety of my family and the success of my small bushiness
That was another journey the one I started by  sinking my pension into staring a new business after ill health forced me to stop working.It was a lot like walking into the lake expecting to find cool water to soothe me in the searing heat only to discover the water was like tepid bath water.
So I walked in deeper looking at the Hazy mountains on the horizon not knowing what to expect feeling very small and alone.I knew the girls were on the beach in their bikinis their lithe bodies protected by sunscreen .
I simply wanted to cool down and I left my camera with Ellen. Two young women one white from Europe the other black from Malawi.Volunteers working with Help2kids and my companions as I chose to stay at the Friendly Gecko where they were based. Did not want to hold up their swim for too long and  walked in blindly seeking colder water. As the water got deeper it started to be cooler and I dunked myself enjoying the soothing coolness through my sweaty clothes.
Viewing  the photographs Ellen took I realized the image was a metaphor of my life walking into the unknown uncertain and scared but confident.





No comments:

Post a Comment