History

Saturday, December 28, 2013

My Diary January 2014 0nwards

The road
 

 
The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
 
I wrote earlier
a year ago?

 

It was June 2013

A great South African
Is greeting
 
I believe strongly.
That we the people
Of this splendid country
Have a future
I believe there
Are enough brilliant
South Africans left
On our soil
To steer our ship
Into calmer waters
No matter, what
Foul weather is rising
On the horizon.
Let Tata
Enjoy his last
Days in peace
And with dignity
Alas
We now know
it was not so
Whatever happened
it remains disturbing
It is a new year
and I close the door
on the year of Our Lord 2013
I close the door
on triumphs
I close in on pain
on sorrow
and on joy
a new step forward
all is new
can I live
every day
this way?
grateful
yesterday
 is over
today has begun
Yes I know I am early
why should I conform
Why should I not accept
that 2014 will come
as sure as
today has arrived?
Is that faith?
is that arrogance?
is that fatalistic?
No and a thousand times No
I demand tomorrow
I stand on the promise
of Life
I refuse
to accept defeat
I cry out to
My Father
to enlarge my territory
to grant me time
to fulfil
my destiny
a new little bird
is going through the womb
of time
was created in the throes
of my mind
You shall see it soon
Q shall arise
as Intaka did
and the Queen
and K
when the Israelites
wandered through the desert
they were given food
that included Q's
descendants
I stand on that promise
the promise
of my daily bread
I stand on the promise
the promise
of a new life
So my dear compatriots
also those of you
who loaded
your Venter trailers
full of tinned food
awaiting
SA's Armageddon
I shall not call you fools
shall not say
I told you so
my time is precious
it is now
and yes
I embrace
the Year of our Lord
2014
Peace and love bet with you
my brothers and sisters
now and forever
Amen doulos
U-John
 

  Monica is reading
A long Walk to Freedom
She laughed out loud
about the incident
where a condescending white Lady
threw a sixpence at John(Madiba)
when he helped her
He explained that whites
used to call Africans John
if the did not know them
or their name
So Rosalien's(our housekeeper) son
little Michael came
to visit
We helped getting him built up boots
to rectify his club feet
From the onset he called me
U-John
No matter how his mother explained my name
I remained U-John
I told her to let the child be
as I really did not matter
I remained U-John to this day
and MIcheal is now
a strapping young lad
Little Michael's Uncle
convinced him to call
all white males John
in retaliation to being called
John by whites
Michael's Uncle's humour
was sharp and lasting
Does it really matter
what people call us ?
A great man, Madiba
was called John
a lesser man,me
was called John
Two sides to the
same coin
This seems like a light hearted
account of life in South Africa
Yet it is cutting deep
deep into the roots
of pain that people suffered
without  reason
because of the injustice
one race visited
on another
Jesus was baptised by John
Jesus, A royal
baptised by John
a normal person
It still irks me
endlessly
that preachers
promoted and supported
Apartheid for so many years
from their pulpits
Jesus was a man of Love
a man of Peace
a man that understood humanity
and at the same time
he was the One
who created humanity
How can one not love oneself
therein lies the message
that us humans cannot understand
For now we see through a glass, darkly;
but then face to face:
 now I know in part; but ...
Thank you Tata
for grasping
that message
Let us all be John
plain and simple
Many John's
of different hue and colour
Let us live in peace
let us love one another
irrespective of faith
ethnicity, gender,orientation
health,status
age
now a new year
is dawning
let us just be John
Peace and love be with you my brother and sister Johns
forever
Amen doulos 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

1 comment:


  1. Let us all be John


    plain and simple


    Many John's


    of different hue and colour


    Let us live in peace


    let us love one another


    irrespective of faith


    ethnicity, gender,orientation


    health,status


    age


    now a new year


    is dawning


    let us just be John

    ReplyDelete